I know what your going to say, “I don’t have time to workout!” “where do I start?” “I don’t like getting sweaty!” I completely get all of these excuses, but here are a
five six ways to get moving more and doing something healthy for yourself and your family.
- Be accountable to someone. Last fall I bought a Fitbit so I could play along in the challenges my friends were doing. Every week my friends and I participate in a “work week hustle” on the Fitbit app which keeps me accountable to a whole group of people who can see how much or how little I’m moving. Now you don’t have to go out and buy anything, you could join an online group that is just for accountability, or you can start one yourself. Being accountable to someone other then yourself or your husband can be very motivating.
- There is no right time to workout. There are seasons in a moms life and those seasons dictate free time. I have tried every time and came to the conclusions that I hate morning workouts, and after lunch is to late in the day, therefore I had to come up with a system to fit in my workout and homeschooling. The best time of day for me is between 8-9am so I schedule my kids some independent work during that time and some days they do it without complaining and some days they are cleaning their rooms quietly until I’m done. Does this happen every day? No, but I try to get 3000 steps in doing one workout.
- Get your kids involved. Some days I can’t get a workout done alone so we lace up our shoes and head outside for a walk. Now the dog loves this and occasionally I get complainants from the kids but rarely so it is a win for me and my steps.
- Free classes. Who doesn’t like free? I have found some great classes on YouTube for free. BeFit is a channel that hosts all ranges of videos from Jillian Michales shred to ballet classes. When I need a kick start I’ll go there and just do something that looks fun.
- Just do it! Nike definitely has the corner on that truth, but it needs to be said more often. Just get moving. Moving more develops stronger bodies and stronger bodies are more confident. Bathing suit season is approaching and your kids need you to be in the water with them playing, and the fastest way to feeling better in a bathing suit is becoming a stronger person.
- Find something you love doing and do it! Even if your old, tired, etc…do that one activity you have been wanting to try or retry. For me this has been dancing. I have never taken an official dance class with pink tights and a black liatard because it was never an option. Thanks to social media and the ability to stream workouts I can dance without pink tights (because no one needs to see that) like no one is watching. I am addicted to Dancebody, which is a dance class online or if you live in New York they are there in person. Try them out for 3 days free (code is on their site), you will be so thankful you did.
Now that you have
Five Six ways to fit fitness into your life I hope that this weekend while your planning you will plan sometime to move more. And if you have tried and failed then try again. Change the time, change the workout, change who you are with, and get accountable to someone. Look forward to the process and less about the destination. Its in the process that we grow.
Leave me a comment and tell me what you’ll do this next week to move more.