Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own. Pin Share
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPE
What is better on a fall or winter night than a hot bowl of soup?
Besides being able to wear boots every day being cold is just horrible. My body usually aches all over and the house can never be at a comfortable temperature. So I turn to soup, butternut squash soup, when the weather gets cold. Soup heats my body from the inside and makes the long nights more comfortable.
I discovered this recipe when I was a waitress. The chef made it every weekend during the fall and winter and when I left this gem came with me. I have modified it over the years and so can you. The original was full of heavy whipping cream and mounds of butter. You will find this one is lighter, using coconut milk, and some butter or ghee.
My disclaimer is that I care very little about food allergies or whether you can eat such and such. The beauty of a recipe like this is that you can change it to fit your needs. If you don’t like coconut milk, swipe it out for more chicken stock or vegetable stock. The creaminess will be lessened but that is ok. If you would like to take it to the next level use heavy whipping cream and butter. For an appetizer, it will satisfy you and wow your guests.
With Thanksgiving approaching, you can add this as a soup course without breaking the bank. Most stores are practically throwing squash at you anyway, so enjoy the overabundance.
I have added links to similar dishes I used in the pictures. Truth be told, I was a Pampered Chef consultant for 7 years, so all the dishes and such in my house came from them.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 whole Butternut squash
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 Can Full fat coconut milk
- 3 Cups Chicken stock or Vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Butter or ghee
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1. Prepare your oven at 3502. Line a sheet pan with foil3. Cut and clean the squash4. Place the squash on the roasting pan.5. Add the first 5 ingredients to the squash 6. Place in the oven for 45 minutes or until tender.
Making the Soup
- 1. Scoop out the flesh of the squash and add it to a stock pot2. Add the chicken stock 3. In parts add the squash and stock to a blender and puree until smooth and all is done.4. When all the squash is pureed and back into the pot add the Coconut Milk, nutmeg and butter 5. Season as necessary
- Serve with warm bread or salad.