Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own. Pin Share
It’s Friday!! We made it through another week, homeschoolers!
On this episode of Friday Favorites I am sharing with you our 5th grade curriculum we use for our daughter.
My 5th grader is in the Grammar stage of Classical Education with a mix of the Dialectic. Therefore the curriculum choices are a reflection of that. She is still very eager to memorize information, and learn through a lot of play. As of right now, she has not been super curious about knowing more than I give her to memorize, but I trust that will come with age. If you would like to read more about the Grammar stage and its teaching implications here.
Thanks to the curriculum Classical Conversations uses in their Foundations program, my 5th grader has all her memory work laid out week by week.
- English: Preposition list and helping verbs
- Math: Math facts 1-15, measurements, metric measurements, volumes, and laws.
- Science: Biology facts
- History: Ancient History sentences
- Timeline: Creation to Modern Times
- Geography: Ancient civilizations, Africa, and Mesoamerica
- Art: Ancient artists and their techniques, Baroque Music
- Science Experiments in Biology and physical science
As her teacher I then take all that memory work and choose which pieces I’d like to expand on.
5th grade curriculum: English
In the 5th grade or by 10 years old students are more willing to use the English memory work they have been storing up. This begins the Essentials program in Classical Conversations.
- Essentials of the English Language is a full English grammar course. It teaches the 8 parts of speech, 5 sentence structures, 5 purposes of a sentence, 12 sentence patterns, and what make a sentence a sentence.
- Along with English grammar they use “Institue for Excellence in Writing” curriculum with a focus in the History they are memorizing.
5th grade curriculum: Math
Along with the memorization of math facts my 5th grader uses Saxon Math.
Saxon math is my favorite math program. I tried a few others with my daughter but always came back to Saxon for their classical approach to review.
She uses Saxon 6/5 and the DVD to teach her the lesson.
5th grade curriculum: Science
Unfortunately, I have fallen behind on implementing a further science program then what her memory work provides. I do however print memory
For example, this week the memory work is to name 3 types of rock. Her activity page then has her re-write the 3 types of rock along with an activity of finding pictures on the web with a parent and drawing them.
If I had my act together I would have her continue the Apologia Biology book for the Youth.
5th grade curriculum: History
I like to read books for history that follows whatever cycle we are in. For ancient history, we read books about ancient civilizations and follow the Timeline with Story of the World.
There are so many roads to take for History and most of them all lead to the same place of burnout if you are not careful. History can be taught within the English writing and in reading aloud. If you don’t get to the part in your day when you have to mummify a chicken or make a salt map of Africa its ok.
5th grade curriculum: Geography
I am not sure how other curriculums use geography, but in CC it’s a pretty big deal.
Every week my 5th grader has to memorize locations on a map and know where they are. We have a map and she has to trace the locations every day as she’s memorizing the names. Simple but very effective.
5th grade curriculum: Electives
Perhaps this isn’t a true “subject” quite yet in 5th grade but here is what she does for extra fun.
- American Heritage Girls badge requirements
- Learning her martial arts moves for the next belt